Digital Illustration of the human Ovum
- Eliminate drugs, smoking, and alcohol. All of these can decrease your sperm count, motility, and your sperm’s ability to fertilize an egg.
- Examine your diet. What you eat can play a big role in sperm quality. Deficiencies of folic acid, vitamin C, selenium and zinc can lower sperm count. Altering your diet or adding supplements can normalize the levels of these vitamins and minerals.
- Minimize stress. Stress has been shown to lower sperm parameters. Meditation, moderate exercise and massage are a few ways to reduce the effects of too much stress.
- Reevaluate your exercise routine. While moderate exercise can reduce stress, over-exercising can lower sperm count and decrease its function. So skip the real heavy weight lifting and marathon bike rides.
- Avoid overheating. High temperature around the testicles can decrease the production of healthy sperm. Even lycra shorts and tight underwear can cause over heating and lower sperm production. Routinely soaking in a hot tub or sauna should also be avoided.